When renting a property it is important to work with an experienced team and we are dedicated to finding homes for individuals and families throughout the area.
Our trained and experienced staff are here to help you every step of the way and will always take time to understand your needs to to help you to find the right home.
All tenancies will be on an Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement for a minimum period of six months. No property can be removed from the market unless we receive a full application form and administration fee. The administration fee will act as a holding deposit whilst the formalities of the tenancy are concluded.
We understand that everybody works to a budget and nobody likes unexpected charges. We believe in clarity for both the Landlord and the prospective tenant and have produced our Terms and Conditions of renting setting out, in plain english all our requirements and charges. A copy is given to all prospective tenants and is available from our local Southampton office and also set out below:
1. To reserve a property through our company, a holding fee of £200 is payable. The holding fee is then deducted from the Agency fee on completion of the transaction. The Agency fee is equivalent to £354 inc VAT for one tenant. Any further tenants will be charged at a cost of £234.00 inc VAT. If a guarantor is required the charge will be £106.80 inc VAT per guarantor. The holding fee is paid prior to you submitting your application forms and covers the cost of referencing and preparing agreements. The property will be withdrawn from the market until such time as your application has been processed. In the event that you decide not to proceed, all or part of this fee may be retained to offset costs incurred. Please refer to the Holding Deposit Receipt for full details
2. To avoid disappointment we would strongly suggest that you complete application forms and pay the reservation fee as quickly as possible. If all applications, including proof of residence, proof of earnings and any other requested information has not been returned within 5 days of an administration fee being paid the property will be remarketed. Please ensure this timescale is adhered to as we reserve the right to remarket the property in the event that we are unable to process your application as result of such a delay. If for any reason you are unable to submit this information in the designated timescale please advise the negotiator dealing with your transaction prior to paying your holding fee, to avoid unnecessary expense being incurred.
3. Once the reservation fee is received and application forms have been fully completed by all adults who wish to take up residence in the property (and are thus likely to be parties to the eventual tenancy agreement) we will apply for your references.
4. Referencing will be carried out by an independent company within the lettings industry. The usual references requested are employment and current landlord. A credit search of addresses covering the last three years will also be carried out. Should you have any adverse credit or know of any reason why a tenancy may not be granted it would be advisable to disclose this to the negotiator dealing with your transaction before paying the initial costs.
5. Once satisfactory references have been received we will contact you to confirm your moving in date. Should we find that we are unable to offer a tenancy as a result of adverse references received, or through no fault of ourselves, all or part of this of your holding fee may be retained to offset costs incurred. Please refer to the Holding Deposit Receipt for full details.
6. The prospective Landlord reserves the right, to refuse you a tenancy, without explanation and their decision will be final and binding. Due to the requirements of the Data Protection Act we are not obliged to enter into any discussions or explanations based on this decision.
7. If you decide, for whatever reason, not to proceed with the tenancy all or part of the holding fee may be retained to offset costs incurred. Please refer to the Holding Deposit Receipt for full details
8. Please read the following carefully to avoid complications on the day of move in, under no circumstances will tenants be able to move in to a property unless and until: -
i. References have been satisfactorily completed
ii. All necessary fees and payments have been made in full and by way of cleared fund
iii. All tenants are able to sign the necessary legal documentation before the legal commencement of the tenancy i.e. taking up authorised occupancy
9. In the event of the agreed start date of the tenancy being moved at the request of the tenant(s), an administration charge over and above the holding fee of £150 inc VAT will apply. In addition rent will be charged from the previously agreed date and becomes payable prior to occupation.
10. Prior to moving into the property you will need to pay the deposit, which is lodged by franklinallan or the Landlord in an approved Deposit Guarantee Scheme for the duration of the tenancy. At the termination of the tenancy, it will be used to offset any damage (if applicable) beyond fair wear and tear, which must be rectified. The amount of this deposit will generally be the equivalent of one months rent plus a further £100.00 however Landlords requirements vary and you should check with us the amount of deposit required for the specific property you are interested in. Rental properties valued at £800.00 and over will often command a higher deposit. We must be in receipt of cleared funds prior to you signing the tenancy agreement.
11. Keys will only be released by our office once all monies due have been paid. Paying the final balance of money can be made by the following: -
• Bankers Draft - payable to franklinallan Ltd
• Online bank transfer - the most popular method of payment - please use the first line of the property address as the reference. When paying by this method allow 3 working days as clearance.
• Personal cheques - allow 5 working days for funds to clear.
Please Note: All monies received on behalf of Clients by Franklin Allan Ltd is held in a Statutory Clients Account. This means that the money is protected in that should Franklin Allan Ltd go into liquidation or cease trading, the Bank cannot apply funds held in the Clients Account towards debts of the Company. Due to this arrangement, at the present time we do not subscribe to a Client Money Protection Scheme which is a separate insurance backed scheme initiated to protect Clients money. This arrangement is however under regular review
12. Appointments to collect the keys and sign the tenancy agreement can only take place during office hours. If arrangements have to be made at the request of the tenant(s) for an appointment outside these times then franklinallan will try to accommodate such request but an additional fee of £120.00 inc VAT will be charged payable to ourselves on the day.
13. This tenancy does not allow for smoking at the property nor are pets allowed at the property without the prior written consent of the Landlord/Agent.
14. Under the terms of your tenancy you must ensure that you have adequate home contents insurance for the property for the duration of the tenancy. In the event that you do not have suitable cover in place prior to the day of moving in, with your permission, we will forward a quotation for this cover. You will be liable for the cost of this insurance and should remember to renew the policy at the appropriate time in the future.
15. All claims made under cover of contents insurance are to be carried out by the policyholder.
16. The rent must be paid in advance by Standing Order without exception. If you fail to pay the rent within 7 days of the due date, a reminder letter will be sent. Should the rent continue to remain unpaid, a further letter will be sent after 14 days which will also result in a late rent charge of £60.00 inc VAT. Please Note: we reserve the right to deduct this charge from the deposit.
17. If you wish to end your tenancy early, this can only be achieved with the mutual consent of the Landlord and suitable replacement tenants are found. You will be liable for the Landlord's reasonable costs and charges incurred in finding suitable new tenants which will include agent's fees and rent for a defined period. Confirmation of these costs (so far as they can be ascertained) will be sent to you once your written notice of intent to vacate has been received and you will then be given the choice as to whether you still wish to end your tenancy early
18. Tenancy Agreements will be drawn up for a fixed period being 6 or 12 months. Subject to the tenancy being conducted in a satisfactory manner, a new fixed term contract will be offered. An administration charge of £118.80 inc VAT will apply to this renewal.
19. In the event that a fixed term agreement is not being offered the original tenancy will enter into a Periodic status which will incur no further charge
20. When vacating a property, managed by franklinallan an inventory clerk will carry out an appraisal of the property, ideally with you present. The cost of this will amount to 10%+vat of your monthly rent, which will be deducted from deposit. A copy of this report is available on request.
21. Upon vacating the property, the tenant(s) must ensure that the property is left in a clean and tidy condition. It is company policy for all properties managed by our company to be professionally cleaned. The property will be cleaned on a like for like basis when you vacate. You will be provided with receipted proof of the cleaning charge and this charge will be deducted from your deposit at the end of the tenancy.If keys have been lost or misplaced during the tenancy, the cost of replacing the lock will be deducted from your deposit. With some properties on master key schemes, this cost can be around £180.00 inc VAT
22. Necessary repairs needed to the property beyond cleaning and fair wear and tear organised by franklinallan will incur a charge equal to 24% inc VAT of total invoice.
23. The deposit will also be used at the end of the tenancy in respect of rent arrears due to the Landlord and/or any outstanding fees due to franklinallan (as set out in the tenancy agreement), no matter howsoever arising.
24. Please note that any repayment of deposits by will generally be made by BACS payment directly into the lead tenant's bank account. This will be sent within one month of your vacation once deductions (if necessary) have been made and the utility companies have been contacted confirming that you have given them your new address.
25. In the event that references are requested after the surrender of a tenancy an administration charge of £42.00 inc VAT will be payable for the information requested. This charge will apply to each reference request.